Animation/Visual Effects

July 13,2010

I have started work on a feature film story project.  At the core of the story are three characters that come from the forest.

I have started working on the first character named “Roma”. The following is the process and progress of building, texturing, rigging, and animating him in 3D

My son Jordan and I worked on various designs and  have settled on this concept as the strongest.

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

The next step was to adapt the drawing to be a template for putting in the background in my 3D modeler

(Click to enlarge)

Note** After the model is built I will add the variance in the left and right sides to make it look more natural

I used the background image for reference  and built a tracking of the body piping, and created a box model for the body.

(click to enlarge)

I then built the mask and refined the box model and to match the drawing body of the body more closely.  The poly model was then transformed into subd’s.

I also began building the neck using the background reference and decided to leave more space to see through the neck.  I thought this would strengthen the over all design and distinctiveness of the character.

(Click to enlarge)

I brought in a stock human character I have in my achieves, that I have built earlier, and tweaked it to match the proportions of the drawing.

I built the piping for the body and began to add the individual “leaf” armor-pads and refine the pants.

(Click to enlarge)

I then refined the face and built the eyes and eyelids.  I changed the mask design a bit to look a bit happier.

(Click to enlarge)

I began building the branches for the arms and legs and created some temp hair.

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

I created the branch arms and legs then refined the pants more to resemble leaves

(Click to enlarge)

I also began to create a difference in the left and right sides of the model and scanned some ferns to surface the hair with.

I removed the temp hair and created a more detailed and UV’ed hair that I could map the scanned fern onto.

Finally I added eyelashes and created some morph targets/blend shapes  so Roma could blink.

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

Here are some shaded renders of the model of Roma

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

I’m happy with the results so far and will keep posting as I go along.

All images and text are the property of Imaginari Studios LLC Copyright 2010